Saturday, June 18, 2011

Salloch Exhibition at the Montauk Lighthouse Museum June 21 through August 2 - Wine Tasting Gala on July 23

The Wooden Bridge to West, 7-20-1939


The Montauk Historical Society is proud to announce the exhibition "Heinz Emil Salloch: Long Island Watercolors 1938 and 1939.  The works will be on view at the Montauk Lighthouse Museum from July 21 - August 2. Exhibit viewers are invited to share their knowledge of the paintings' locations and local history via an on-site Internet blog.

The Opening Reception will be held on Saturday, July 23 from 5-8 PM during "Night at the Light", the annual wine tasting gala sponsored by the Montauk Chamber of Commerce. For ticket information please call the Montauk Chamber of Commerce at 631-668-2428.

Salloch was born in Berlin in 1908 and lived in Kiel on the Baltic Sea in Germany. In 1937 he fled the political persecution of the Nazi Regime and emigrated to Cuba and then to the United States. The émigré painter embarked up the American east coast on a journey of discovery and artistic creativity. In 1938 and 1939 Salloch painted on eastern Long Island where he was fascinated with the melding of land, sea, and sky. As many of Salloch's watercolors were painted at various locations in Montauk, it is indeed fitting that the iconic lighthouse will serve as a temporary home to the works that reflect both his soulful spirit and love of nature.

The exhibit is arranged by curator Karen Dorothee Peters.  For more information, please call (646) 724 9452 or visit or Please click on the Events link. Press: Dan's Papers / East Hampton Star.

This exhibition has received support from the German Consulate General in New York.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

East Hampton Star "Mysteries and Connections in Artist's Montauk Works" by Jennifer Landes, May 19, 2011

full article

NYC 1939

Long Island, 1938, (after the Great Hurricane west of Montauk?), Watercolor/Ink 10x14"

Long Island - Beach Houses, 7-18-1938 - Setauket

"Oak Beach Lighthouse" (Fire Island Lighthouse Robert Moses State Park), 7-3-1939

"Desert on the Bay," 7-8-1939 (?)

"The Old Windmill" (Rheinstein's / McCaffrey's), 7-17-1939

"Montauk Village" (Tuthill Road on Murder Hill on to Duryea's Dock restaurant), 7-17-1939

The Fishangri-la Dock (depicted in the painting) in Fort Pond Bay, where the party boat The Pelican used to embark.

In 1951 The Pelican capsized north of the Point.

"The Little Pond," 7-18-1939 (Little Reed Pond or Money Pond?)

"The Wooden Bridge to West," 7-20-1939 (?)

July 23, 2011

"Old Montauk Highway/Wyandanch Inn," 7-21-1939 (today's Surfside Inn)